4.1 Devotion: Leader Discouragement- A Loss of Confidence
As we continue our devotional series on the sources of discouragement that Nehemiah faced when endeavoring to rebuild the walls of the city of Jerusalem, we turn our attention to another important source of discouragement: a loss of confidence. Previously, we read in Nehemiah 4:6(new tab) that the people had begun the rebuilding project with the heart they needed to do the work, but the loss of strength and vision combined to undermine their confidence. In verse 10, we read that the people began whining: “We ourselves are unable to build the wall.”
When people, be they leaders or followers, lose confidence in their abilities to achieve a task, the frequent result is discouragement. The Holy Scriptures offer many examples of how God gives us confidence to do what needs to be done. In Hebrews 13:6(new tab), we read: “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” In Isaiah 40:31(new tab), the prophet wrote: “…those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary; they will walk and not be faint.” Joshua 1:9(new tab) states this more strongly: “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” How could one remain discouraged for long after reading what God has promised to us in the way of His strength and confidence?! Management homework help
Upon successful completion of this assignment, you will be able to:
• Integrate biblical perspectives for promoting holistic well-being in organizational members.
1. Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
2. Review the information in the Getting Started section.
3. Write a half to one-page reflection paper (Word document) that describes a situation where you lost confidence that ultimately led to discouragement. What was the root cause of your loss of confidence? How did you regain your confidence and what effect did that have on the discouragement you felt?
4. Incorporate two Scripture verses or passages of your choosing (other than those included above) that speak to how we are to deal with discouragement and/or a lack of confidence.
5. Reflection papers are to be written in accordance with APA Guidelines (7th ed.)(new tab) including format guidelines. Papers must be logical, well organized, grammatically correct, and have correct spelling and sentence structure. Write in complete paragraphs.
4.2 Discussion: Psychological Safety and Fear in the Workplace
While the term “psychological safety” is a relatively newer one, the concepts it describes likely have been around since human beings began working together in teams. The list of significant errors, loss of life, and even disasters, is long when individuals and teams feel unsafe or uncomfortable speaking up. Beyond the negative outcomes that often result, other consequences result from a lack of psychological safety: lack of motivation and innovation are just a couple of examples. Management homework help
Using the TEDx Talk by Dr. Amy Edmondson, we’ll explore how psychological safety can enhance the organization’s environment, productivity, and goals…as well as how the lack of psychological safety can result in great harm. We also will consider elements of psychological safety in the assigned white paper reading.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Explain the concept of psychological safety and how motivation and innovation are affected by high and low levels of psychological safety.
- Describe strategies for enhancing psychological capital and resilience among both leaders and followers.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- Review the information in the Getting Started section.
- View the YOUTUBE TEDx Talk video with Dr. Amy Edmondson
- Read these short articles in Forbes(new tab)and Talent Development(new tab)
- Frame your initial post of 250-300 words no later than Day Four around the following thought-starter questions:
- How does your understanding of psychological safety help explain why leaders and followers make decisions and behave as they do?
- How might motivation and innovation be affected when psychological safety is low?
- Describe an example of when you did or did not feel that sufficient psychological safety existed in your organization, such that you were able to (or not able to) speak up about something of consequence.
- What could you do to foster greater psychological safety in your organization? What would that require of you? Management homework help