- Competency . 1: Explain the nature of ethical issues
- Identify key ethical issues within workplace situations.
- Competency 3: Engage in ethical debate
- Give examples of the strengths and weaknesses of diverse accounts of moral dilemmas.
- Competency 4: Develop a position on a contemporary ethical issue.
- State clearly one’s own position on ethical issues in a workplace context.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in the context of personal and professional moral discourse.
- Communicates in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of professional communities.
During this course you will be developing a final project, “Professional Code,” (u10a1) on the role of professional ethics in your current or future workplace. This week’s assignment is the first step in that long-term process. There will be another assignment in Unit 6, and you will pull all of the pieces together in Unit 10.
In this unit, your only task is to begin thinking about the issues. From your own experience in the workplace—or from what you have learned about your field of specialization—describe three situations that might come up in your profession, each of which presents an ethical dilemma or calls for a thoughtful moral decision.
Describe each situation fully enough to expose the potential disagreements to which it is likely to give rise. Consider the alternative responses someone might make in such a situation and assess the strengths and weaknesses of each point of view. State your own position in contrast with (at least some of) these alternatives, and explain why you have adopted it.
You will return to these examples in Unit 10 with a more detailed defense of your own view, and you will be free to change your mind then if you choose.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA guidelines for style and format.
- Number of resources: There are no minimum number of resources required; however, use your judgment to ensure your topic is thoroughly researched.
- Length of paper: 3–4 typed double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Arial, 12 point.