A. Read the three articles below before answering the discussion questions.
- “It’s Only Natural — Mother’s Love. Mother’s Milk.” BF barriers in the African American communityhttp://www.womenshealth.gov/blog/its-only-natural-mothers-love-mothers-milk.html (链接到外部网站。)链接到外部网站。
- Using a Wellness Program to Promote a Culture of Breastfeeding in the Workplace: Oregon Health & Science University’s Experience, Antoinette Magner; Carrie Anne Phillipi , Journal of Human Lactation (链接到外部网站。)链接到外部网站。, Vol. 31, Iss. 1, February 2015, pp. 40-4
- Factors inﬂuencing breastfeeding exclusivity during the ﬁrst 6 months of life in developing countries: a quantitative and qualitative systematic review,
- Olukunmi Omobolanle Balogun, 2015 John Wiley & Sons Ltd Maternal and Child Nutrition (2015), , pp. 433–451 11
B. Complete the discussion questions:
1. List the barriers to breastfeeding mentioned and others you recognize based on the review study, “Factors influencing breastfeeding exclusivity during the first six months” (Olukunmi), and the video link, “It’s only Natural.”
Which of these barriers are surmountable?
2. Explain how you would you set up a community program to encourage breastfeeding. Choose a platform for this program.
Refer to the article above, Üsing a Wellness Program to Promote a Culture of Breastfeeding in the Workplace: Oregon Health & Science University’s Experience”for additional ideas.
Oregon Program analysis
Do you have suggestions to improve their breastfeeding implementation program?
How well did they address the cultural/ethnic challenges?
Your program objectives
What group will you target (ethnic, socioeconomic, health status) ?
How will you incorporate nutrition intervention?
What will your goals be considering some of the barriers mentioned in the articles?
What are some challenges of promoting breastfeeding in another cultural or ethnic group?
3. Submit your comments, then respond to two other student submissions.