Special educators must be proficient at more than simply teaching, planning, and addressing student concerns. A large portion of the special educator’s career will be spent creating, implementing, and reviewing IEPs in meetings with parents/guardians and other professionals. Most educators find that the present level of academic and functional performance (PLAAFP) is the most essential part of the IEP because it paints a picture of the student and guides the goals, services, accommodations, and modifications that should be included in the IEP. Once a solid PLAAFP is written, then appropriate, measurable, observable goals can be formulated for the student. Education homework help
Part 1: Present Level of Academic Achievement and Functional Performance (PLAAFP)
Review the “Ana Case Study” and use the information provided to write a 250-500 word PLAAFP summary for Ana.
Your PLAAFP should include:
- Student academic strengths
- Performance in classes
- Potential influences of language, culture, and family background
- Strengths, preferences, and interests in nonacademic areas
- Any other relevant issues
Part 2: Annual Goals
Consider the information from the “Ana Case Study” and write two measurable academic goals and two measurable behavioral goals for Ana. Each goal should include:
- A specific, measurable skill or behavior to be achieved.
- A baseline level of mastery for each goal.
- A specific measure to determine if the goals have been achieved.
- A specific method describing how progress will be monitored.
- A schedule for when progress will be measured. Education homework help
Part 3: Rationale
Provide a 500-750 word rationale that addresses the following:
- Clearly defend why each annual goal, assessment tool or strategy, and action steps are appropriate for Ana based on the information and data in the PLAAFP.
- Using the “College of Education Professional Dispositions of Learners,” identify a disposition that you, as a special education teacher, would want to especially demonstrate with Ana and her family. Explain how this disposition would assist you in incorporating Ana’s language, culture, and family background into planning and delivering instruction that meets Ana’s academic and social-emotional development needs.
- Identify specific steps you would recommend to Ana, her parents/guardians, and the IEP team for Ana to accomplish her goals.
Submit the PLAAFP, annual goals, and rationale as a single Word document.
While APA format is not required for the body of the assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. Education homework help
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. A link to the LopesWrite technical support articles is located in Class Resources if you need assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competencies and professional standards:
MED in Elementary Education and Special Education (ITL/NITL) Education homework help
MED in Special Education (ITL/NITL)
MED in Special Education Mild to Moderate Disabilities (Nevada)
1.1 Explain how language, culture, and family background influence learning and incorporate that into planning and delivering instruction to individuals with exceptionalities. [CEC 1.1, ICSI.1.K4, ICSI.1.K5, ICSI.1.K6, ICSI.1.K7, ICSI.1.K12, ICSI.1.K13, ICSI.2.K8, ICSI.4.S6, ICSI.5.S6, ICSI.6.S6; InTASC 1(e), 2(d), 2(j), 2(k), 2(m); GCU Mission Critical 3, 5]
1.2 Use understanding of development and individual differences to respond to the needs of individuals with exceptionalities. [CEC 1.2, ICSI.1.K3, ICSI.1.K4, ICSI.1.K7, ICSI.1.K12, ICSI.1.K13, IGC.1.K4, IGC.1.S1; InTASC 1(a), 1(b), 1(d), 1(e), 1(f), 1(h), 1(j), 2(a), 2(b), 2(g), 2(h), 2(l); GCU Mission Critical 1, 2, 3, 5]
4.2 Use knowledge of measurement principles and practices to interpret assessment results and guide educational decisions for individuals with exceptionalities. [CEC 4.2, ICSI.4.K1, ICSI.4.K2, ICSI.4.K3, ICSI.4.K4, ICSI.4.S1, ICSI.4.S5, ICSI.4.S6, ICSI.4.S8, IGC.4.K1; InTASC 6(c), 6(k), 7(l), 7(q); GCU Mission Critical 2, 5]Education homework help